AIRCRAFT EXHIBITS: Continued...
1924: DE HAVILLAND DH 51: Designed as a three seat biplane for the privately owned aircraft market, the DH 51 incorporated an airframe and wings of wooden construction with fabric covering the majority of surfaces, interestingly provision was made for increased luggage storage in lieu of a third person by the use of a fuselage fairing. Geoffrey De Havilland flew the prototype aircraft in 1924, three aircraft were ultimately produced. The aircraft is designated as a two/three seat biplane, powered by a 120hp Airdisco V8 engine, with a maximum speed of 108mph at 5,000 feet.
1924: HAWKER CYGNET: The first aircraft to be designed by Sir Sydney Camm, who later went on to design the Hawker Hind, Typhoon, Hunter and Harrier! The Hawker Engineering Company produced only two examples of this beautiful ultralight aircraft. This aircraft is a replica, completed in 2009, the aircraft is designated as a two seat ultralight sporting biplane, powered by a 40hp JAP J99 flat twin boxer engine, with a maximum anticipated speed of 82mph at sea level.
1928: HAWKER TOMTIT: The Tomtit was designed by Sydney Camm to meet an Air Ministry requirement for a then new generation of training and communications aircraft to supersede the Avro 504. Construction was somewhat conventional with a fabric covered steel tube airframe, aluminium panels and a forward engine casing, seating was provided for the Instructor and Pupil with provision of a hood for the rear cockpit. Approximately forty Tomtits were manufactured for the RAF Central Flying School in 1930, however by 1932 all the surviving Tomtits were withdrawn in favour of the Avro Tutor, the Tomtits were then used as communications aircraft.
The aircraft is designated as a two seat elementary training and communications biplane, powered by a 150hp Armstrong-Siddeley Mongoose IIIc five cylinder radial engine, with a maximum speed of 124mph at sea level. The exhibit is the last Tomtit to be built and is the last surviving example.
1928: DE HAVILLAND DH 60X MOTH: Designed in 1924, the Moth was targeted at the growing civil aviation needs in the United Kingdom. The Moth had a conventional wooden airframe with fabric covering. This aircraft was purchased at Brooklands by Richard Shuttleworth in 1932 and has remained with the Shuttleworth Collection. The aircraft is designated as a two seat civil sports biplane, powered by a 105hp Hermes II four cylinder in-line engine, with a maximum speed of 102mph at 1,000 feet.
1929: COMPER C.L.A.7 SWIFT: Flight Lieutenant Nicholas Comper established the Comper Aircraft Company in 1929 to produce aircraft of his own design. The Swift incorporated a wooden airframe with plywood and fabric covering. A total of forty one standard Swift's were built and were regular exhibits and air race entries throughout the UK and Europe during the 1930's. The aircraft is designated as a single seat high wing monoplane, powered by a 90hp Pobjoy Niagara II seven cylinder radial engine, with a maximum speed of 145mph at 2,000 feet. At one time Richard Shuttleworth was a Director of the Comper Aircraft Company.
1929: PARNALL ELF: The Elf was designed by Harold Bolas and built by George Parnall & Co., in Bristol, England in 1929. The aircraft was similar to the de Havilland Moth, being a two seat light biplane aimed at the Civil Aviation market. Conventional construction included a wooden airframe and a combination of plywood and fabric covering. Minimal wing wire bracing was required due to the design of the interplane struts and the wings could be folded for storage. Two prototype aircraft failed to offer significant performance and both crashed and were destroyed, this exhibit is the sole surviving Elf. The aircraft is designated as a two seat light sports trainer biplane, powered by a 105hp Cirrus Hermes II four cylinder in-line engine, with a maximum speed of 110mph at 3,000 feet.
1929: SOUTHERN MARTLET: The Southern Aircraft Company was established by F.G.Miles in 1926 and following acquisition of a number of airframes and components from a former Avro Factory including a two seat Avro Baby, development commenced with a variety of engine types on a sporting aircraft. The aircraft is designated as a single seat aerobatic sporting biplane, powered by a 105hp Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major five cylinder radial engine, with a maximum speed of 120mph at 5,000 feet.
1931: AVRO TUTOR 621: Designed in 1929 as a two seat biplane to replace the Avro 504N, the 621 was used by the RAF Central Flying School (CFS), the CFS Display Team, RAF College Cranwell and fifteen examples were manufactured for the Seaplane flight at Calshot. This aircraft, #K3215, was the only surviving example by 1949. The aircraft is powered by a 240hp Armstrong-Siddeley Lynx IVC, seven cylinder radial engine, with a maximum speed of 122mph at 1,000 feet.
1931: DH 82 TIGER MOTH: Developed from the successful DH 60G Gipsy Moth, the Tiger Moth first flew in 1931. Variations compared to the Moth include an inverted Gipsy III engine to improve the pilot's view and the characteristic wing sweep to keep lift and weight in balance due to the relocation of the centre struts which were moved to assist pilot egress by parachute. The Tiger Moth was an excellent wartime trainer and numerous examples are still flown all over the world by Sporting Pilots. This aircraft was rebuilt from two donor Tiger Moths and it is finished in the RAF Central Flying School Aerobatic Team colours. The aircraft is designated as a two seat elementary trainer with aerobatic capabilities biplane, powered by a 130hp DH Gipsy four cylinder in-line engine, with a maximum speed of 107mph.
1933: MIGNET H.M.14 'POU DU CIEL': The Mignet 'Pou-du-Ciel', literally translated as 'sky louse', but known as the 'Flying Flea' in the UK, was a light aircraft designed by Frenchman, Henri Mignet, the aircraft targeted the amateur constructor, it was an ambitious attempt to offer aviation to the man in the street. Instability issues which resulted in many fatal accidents, subsequent poor publicity and the outbreak of World War 2 all served to derail the Flea project, nevertheless numerous modified 'Fleas' are still being flown successfully. The aircraft is designated as a single seat, tandem wing ultralight, home build tourer, powered by various engine types including the Douglas Sprite, Carden Ford, Bristol Cherub, ABC Scorpion and Scott Squirrel, with a maximum speed of 50~60mph at 1,000 feet.
1934: DE HAVILLAND DH 88 COMET: The two seat monoplane Comet was designed specifically to take part in the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race from Mildenhall, England to Melbourne, Victoria to mark the centenary of the foundation of the State of Victoria, #G-ACSS, 'Grosvenor House' piloted by C.W.A. Scott and T. Campbell won the race covering a distance of 11,300 miles in a time of 70 hours and 54 minutes. #G-ACSS was stored throughout World War 2 at Gravesend, England, restored to airworthiness and flown again in 1987 after a break of forty nine years. The aircraft is powered by two 230hp De Havilland Gipsy Six R engines, with a maximum speed of 220mph and a range of nominally 2,925 miles.
1934: HAWKER HIND: In 1934 the Air Ministry required an interim replacement for the Hawker Hart, the Hind incorporated a larger engine, an improved rear cockpit view for prone bomb aiming, cut down fuselage sections to increase the field of fire of the rear gun, a tailwheel and rams-horn exhaust manifolds. The aircraft is designated as a two seat Light Day Bomber biplane, powered by a 640hp Rolls Royce Kestrel V12 engine, with a maximum speed of 186mph at 16,400 feet. Armament consisted of one forward firing .303 machine gun, one Lewis gun at the rear and up to 500lbs of bombs.
MORE SHUTTLEWORTH COLLECTION COVERAGE: Please continue my 'Shuttleworth Collection coverage' by selecting from the following pages...
I LOVE NEW TECHNOLOGY, TABLETS, LAPTOPS, DIGITAL CAMERAS, MOBILE PHONES/WIRELESS BROADBAND, GPS, ETC. ALL SO COOL AND 'PORTABLE'......